The simple one-pot pie recipe is full of delicious and succulent slow-cooked brisket filling and a crispy puff pastry crust. This is a great recipe for a winter family meal.
- Bake at 140°C until cooked. (fan-forced)
- In a large ovenproof casserole dish at medium-high temperature. Place brisket in a container and sear each side until golden and browned. Transfer the meat to a plate and place it aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery. Cook until 3 mins until they soften. Add the spices and cook for an additional minute. Add wine and stir before bringing to a boil. Cook until reduced by half.
- Pour in tomato sauce, stock and. Return the meat to the skillet. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until it is tender and easily shredded. Remove the meat from the sauce and place in a bowl to cool.
- Cook sauce on the stove for 5-10 minutes or until it becomes thicker and less sour. Take the sauce off the heat.
- While you’re at it, shred the meat. Transfer the beef sliced to the sauce and stir with dressing to coat.
- Increase oven temperature to 200degC (fan-forced)
- Apply a brush to the top edge as well as the other side of one sheet of dough with egg beaters. Cut the second sheet of pastry into two pieces, and join one half to the top of the sheet and the other half to the edge of the pastry sheet, and overlap by 1cm before joining. The sheet should form the shape of an “L” shape. Apply pressure gently to make it stick.
- Spread pastry on top of the filling, then tuck and crimp edges until they make it fit into the pan. Sprinkle the top with egg, then cut a small slit in the center to let steam escape. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Serve straight out of the oven and topped with sauce.