EQUIPMENT MISE IN PLACE
You will need the following items to make this recipe:
- A baking sheet with a rim, parchment paper
- A 3 1/2 quart heavy-bottomed saucepan
- A wooden spatula, a fine-holed footed sifter, and a wooden spoon
- 6 Cups of spring or filtered bottled water Fine sea salt
- 7 Anson Mills Rice Carolina Gold
- 2 to 3 Cut into small pieces tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- 1/2 Freshly ground Black Pepper, one teaspoon
- Heat the oven to 300°F. Adjust the rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet that has a rim with parchment paper.
- Bring the water, one teaspoon of salt, and a heavy-bottomed 3-1/2-quart saucepan to a rolling boil on high heat. When the water returns to a rolling boil, turn the heat down to low. Stir occasionally as you simmer the rice, gently and uncovered. It should be tender, with no complex starch in its center. This will take about 15 minutes. Drain the rice into a colander with fine holes and rinse it in cool water. Shake the colander well to remove excess water.
- Spread the rice evenly over the baking sheet. Place the baking tray in the oven for 5 minutes and gently turn the grains with a spatula. Sprinkle the salt and pepper to taste and top with butter. Then, return the baking sheet to the oven to allow the rice grains to heat through. Rotate the grains occasionally until the butter is melted and it’s hot. This should take about five more minutes. Transfer the rice to a warm serving bowl. Serve immediately.