What is the difference between whiskey and bourbon? This is a brief guide on how to understand this type of liquor.
What is the difference between whiskey and bourbon? The key is that bourbon can be described as whiskey, but not all whiskey can be called bourbon. Whiskey is one of the many types of distilled liquors, while bourbon is an American whiskey. Continue reading to learn more about this distilled spirit. We have lists of bourbon cocktails and whiskey cocktails to test your knowledge. Let’s get started!
What’s the difference between Bourbon and Whisky?
Do you want to make a whiskey sour or a Bourbon sour? Is it whiskey or whisky? Here’s a quick overview of everything you need to know.
- Whiskey is a type of distilled liquor made from fermenting grain mash. It can be wheat, rye or barley. The product is then aged in oak-colored wooden barrels. There are many options. Different types of whiskey are Based on the country of origin and the production style. These are some of the most popular whiskey types:
- Bourbon (a type of American whiskey).
- Rye whiskey (American or Canadian)
- Scotch (Scottish whisky)
- Japanese whisky
- Irish whiskey.
- Bourbon, a type of American whiskey made from at least 51% corn and aged in oak barrels, is the name for bourbon. It is from Bourbon Country in Kentucky, where the spirit was first created. Over 95% of all bourbon today is produced in Kentucky.
What is the difference between bourbon and whiskey?
What are the differences in flavor between whiskey and bourbon? Bourbon can be considered whiskey. What is the difference between bourbon and other whiskeys in terms of flavor?
- How does bourbon taste? Bourbon is sweeter than other whiskeys and has caramel, oak, and vanilla notes. There are many different flavors available from different bourbon brands. An expert divides bourbons into four major categories: grain, nutmeg, caramel, and cinnamon.
- What is the taste of rye whiskey? Rye whiskey has a distinctive spicy finish. It is peppery and grassy. For more information, see Rye and Bourbon.
- What does Scotch taste? Blended Scotch is smooth in flavor. It’s malty, buttery, and has a spicy finish. Single malt Scotch is oaky and woody with smoky and signature peaty notes. (Pro tip: Whiskey from Scotland is spelled “whisky.” See Scotch and Whiskey for more information.
- How does Irish whiskey taste? Irish whiskey has a light, fruity aroma with subtle vanilla and nutty notes. It has a smooth, mild finish that is mellower than bourbon and rye whiskey.
Cocktails made with whiskey and bourbon are very popular.
Mixing these spirits into cocktails is the fun part! Bourbon cocktails can be mistaken for whiskey cocktails. Not all whiskey cocktails have to be bourbon cocktails. Some whiskey cocktails require bourbon. You can also use whiskey in whiskey cocktails, even bourbon. Irish whiskey cocktails or Scotch cocktails will only be made with that particular whiskey.
Whiskey Sour (Aka Bourbon Sour).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
- 2 ounces* Bourbon whiskey or Rye whiskey
- 1-ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- Garnish: A cocktail cherry and an orange peel
- Ice for the serving.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the whiskey, lemon juice and syrup. Add a few ice cubes to the shaker and shake well until chilled.
- Strain the drink into an Old Fashioned or lowball glass. Serve the drink with ice, orange peel and a cocktail Cherry.
*To convert to tablespoons: 1 ounce = 2 teaspoons