This delicious braided Egg Bread is made from butter, eggs, and milk to impart intense color and flavor and also a perfect crumb. You can enjoy homemade egg bread served with delicious or sweet spreads or use it as a dessert for dinner.
- Add 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt to the mixing bowl on a stand mixer equipped with a paddle attachment. Mix on low for 30 seconds or so until the ingredients are well-blended.
- Add milk, butter, and water. Beat on low speed for around 1-2 minutes or until butter is fully integrated. While beating at a low speed, slowly add eggs, winning a little at each time, thoroughly mixing after each add-on. Increase the speed to medium and continue beating for 2 minutes. The mixture should be shiny and sticky.
- Take the paddle attachment off and insert the dough hook. Mix on low speed, and gradually add the remaining flour, 1 cup at one interval, till it becomes an elastic dough.
- Increase the speed and continue to knead it for up to 5 minutes or so until the dough resembles the consistency of a smooth, firm, and elastic dough. Try the windowpane technique (see the tips)
- Place the dough on an area of work surface lightly floured, and roll it into the shape of a ball. Please place it in an oil bowl. Cover with a lid and let it increase in size for an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Make sure the dough is pounded down and divided into three equal parts. Each piece is rough. 35cm ropes. Set them on a greased, lined baking dish. Pin the top of dough strands and fold them under to make a seal. The three strands should be braided, after which you pinch and then tuck the ends under. Cover with Cling film and let sit in a warm area for about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 200degC/180degC (fan-forced)
- Brush the risen egg bread with the remaining beaten egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake for 25-30 minutes till golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.