Vegetarian cooking using versatile tofu from silky soft to extra firm is simple and quick to prepare. Cook your delicious vegan meals with these easy healthy recipes for fast healthy dinner your family will enjoy.
Soybeans and water are used to make tofu which is nutritious, easy to digest and inexpensive. Tofu contains protein, a good source of calcium, vitamins, and minerals; you will find it in many vegetarian recipes because of their meat like texture and they are filling. Organic tofu is always on my healthy food list for best quality.
It is an easy and healthy recipe to add to your healthy eating menus for quick and delicious Vegetarian meal. Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 pound silky or soft tofu, drained and mashed or crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (it gives a yellow color to your mixture)
- Tamari soy sauce, fresh ground pepper, or hot sauce to taste
In a non-stick skillet or wok, heat oil and stir in the onion, garlic, and half of the scallions until the onions turn light brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, red pepper, tofu, oregano, and turmeric, and continue to stir over medium heat for another 3 minutes, keep stirring. Put the rest of the scallions, soy sauce and pepper to taste. Your healthy meal is ready to eat!
Try this healthy meal recipe for your low fat diet.
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise (optional, it adds good flavor)
Cut the tofu across and sliced into ¼-inch thick. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients. Put the sliced tofu in the mixture and place tofu one single layer on a lined baking dish. Pour remaining mixture in the pan, turning each piece over once or twice in the marinade.
Heat oven to 375°F and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Bake until all of the liquid is absorbed, and turn with a spatula for another 10 minutes. Scrape up what’s left in the pan and place on top of the baked tofu. Enjoy your easy healthy meal!
If you like your tofu with mustard greens and curry, try this vegetarian recipe for a simple meal.